I’m about to admit something terribly embarrassing.
Here goes nothing…
From when I was a baby well into my toddler years, my large Howell Jowls (Howell being my maiden name and jowls meaning cheeks…yes, my Mom likes to rhyme) and my big bug eyes made me look like I was part of the Campbell’s Soup kid family.
I can’t believe I just told you that. Excuse me while I hide in the corner due to embarrassment.
Anyway…now that I’ve spilled the beans I might as well finish the story…
Because I looked so much like a Campbell’s Soup kid (and I loved the soup just about as much as those kids), my grandparents decided to embrace this and celebrate the fact that I, their precious little granddaughter, was a Campbell’s Soup kid who was brought to life.
Every Christmas I received a gorgeous Campbell’s Soup collector’s edition Christmas ornament and my Mom’s stocking was always stuffed with a Campbell’s Soup calendar. The ornaments were so beautiful and each and every year they showed a different theme. I took such joy in opening the little boxes simply to find out what my fellow Campbell’s Soup kids were up to on the ornaments. Some years they were sledding, other years they were ice skating and one year they were even making alphabet soup. My “brothers” and “sisters” were always so full of life and adventure around the holidays.
Thankfully, I no longer look like one of those kids (at least, I hope not…) but I still have a massive love for soup, preferably the homemade kind.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 large celery sticks, sliced
- 14 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups extra wide egg noodles
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan. Pour in onion, carrots and celery; saute for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Pour the chicken broth into a large pot and heat until bubbly. Add egg noodles and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the noodles are softened.
- Add shredded chicken, sauteed vegetables, oregano, basil, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Bring soup mixture to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for at least 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to intermix.
- Serve warm with crackers.
What is your favorite kind of homemade soup?