I went a few weeks...maybe even months without baking a sweet treat. Can you believe it? All of my focus was being put on savory dishes since my husband and I love to cook together. The other night, we were both craving a sweet treat and wished that we had some ice cream in the freezer. Don't you just hate it when that happens?
The next time we were on our way to the grocery store, he was begging me to bake brownies. While in the baking aisle, I decided to take an extra minute to grab some other essentials that I thought we were low on in our pantry and freezer. I really had no clue since I hadn't baked in forever so I grabbed some peanut butter chips (blondies), Hershey's syrup (brownies), and chocolate chips (cookies). I always love having these three ingredients on hand (plus sugar, flour, and eggs) because it makes it so easy to prepare a tasty treat that my husband and I will both enjoy.
When we got home from the grocery store, we opened a bottle of wine like we usually do and we were off in our separate ways...me to the kitchen and him to the grill. We prepared the most amazing steak dinner (if I do say so myself) drizzled with mushrooms and onions dripping in red wine sauce. On the side, we paired the steak with a salad, garlic mashed potatoes, and broccoli. After the dinner, my husband looked at me and started to ask if I could bake brownies and that's when he saw a wife who was completely passed out and nursing a food coma.
The next day, while he was at work, he kept texting me about brownies so I knew that I had to satisfy his craving. That night, when he walked in the door from work, the house smelled of brownies. He quickly poured a glass of milk and went to town on the brownies...one after another.
This morning, with the baking bug still inside me, I remembered that I still had those peanut butter chips and chocolate chips that were begging to be baked. I turned to my trusty cookie recipe, threw in some walnuts, and baked these beauties. I cannot wait until my husband comes home from work to find out about this sweet treat surprise.
Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter, and Walnut Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place sugar, dark brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla in a bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Add baking soda, salt and flour into a medium bowl and mix to combine. Add this mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in the milk chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and walnuts.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls (or use an ice cream scooper) onto baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
What is your favorite cookie flavor?