I have some very exciting news to announce...our air conditioning is finally working! Yes, I'm actually sitting here in a very cool and comfortable house. We can finally enjoy the time spent in the house instead of being incredibly irritable as we try to find ways to escape the heat.
Thankfully, the repairman was able to fix the broken unit just in time for us to comfortably enjoy the upcoming weekend. As we enter into this long holiday weekend, I can't help but think about all of the delicious food that I'll be eating. Labor Day always reminds me of boating, beer, burgers, and...hmmm....what's another "b" word...barbecues. How could I forget such an important word?
I know that we'll be firing up the grill a lot over the next few days and I cannot wait to experiment with some new and tasty recipes. Our days will consist of grilling meats, sipping wines, relaxing with family and friends, and enjoying the outdoors.
To help you celebrate the holiday, I've compiled a list of some of my favorite recipes that I like to prepare when we have family and friends over for a barbecue at our house.
- Bacon, Cheese, and Tomato Quesadillas
- Bleu Cheese and Tomato Puff Pastry Tarts
- Olive and Cheese Puff Pastry Squares
- Prosciutto, Asparagus, and Goat Cheese Puff Pastry Tarts
- Chicago-Style Hot Dogs
- Classic Barbeque Ribs
- Turkey Burgers with Turkey Bacon, Dill Mayo, Mushrooms and Onions
- White Chicken Chili
- Asparagus and Pea Risotto
- Corn and Zucchini Salad
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Cilantro and Lemon
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- Red Skin Potato, Pea, Pesto, and Bacon Salad
- Rice with Black Beans, Cilantro, and Lime
- Cinnamon and Sugar Mini Doughnut Bundt Cakes
- Cookies and Cream Brownies
- Cream Cheese Swirled Brownies
- Lemon Sandwich Cookies
- Simple Fresh Fruit Tart
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
I also wanted to share with you a simple and delicious wrap that is perfect to serve at a picnic, on a boat, at a barbecue...or wherever your plans take you during this holiday weekend!
Chicken, Spinach, and Tomato Wrap
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided in half
- 3 chicken tenderloins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, lemon pepper, dried thyme, and dried basil
- 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 flour tortilla
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
- Combine the salt, lemon pepper, thyme, and basil in a bowl and season the chicken with the mixture. Add season chicken to hot oil and heat until cooked through.
- Place tomatoes on a baking dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Warm a tortilla shell and then carefully fill the shell with chicken, tomatoes, and spinach. Sprinkle with red wine vinegar and Parmesan cheese.
I wish each and every one of you a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend!
What are your Labor Day weekend plans?