This post originally appeared on The Confident Mom’s blog, where How To: Simplify regularly contributes monthly guest posts filled with tips, tricks and recipes to simplify life in the kitchen.
As part of the gift portion of my bridal shower, my Mom thought it would be a great idea to ask all of the guests to write down their favorite recipe and then attach it to a cooking gadget or tool. The result was an amazing box filled with delicious recipes that I couldn’t wait to try, as well as drawers full of useful tools.
I’ve been slowly working my way through all of the recipes and have created delicious dish after delicious dish using the recipes I found in the box. The other day I took out the recipe box for inspiration and came across a peanut butter, butterscotch and chocolate concoction called Scotcheroos…even the name was fun to say. I knew I had to give these a try!
They seemed very similar to Rice Krispies treats but instead of marshmallows the recipe called for peanut butter. They also had a delicious chocolate and butterscotch topping that made them irresistible. Without having to preheat the oven and bake these bars, they were quick and easy to prepare and devoured within minutes.
Quick and Easy No-Bake Scotcheroos
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 7 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Combine the light brown sugar, Karo syrup and peanut butter in a large pot over medium heat until melted and blended together.
- Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies.
- Spread mixture in a 9×13 pan.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together and spread evenly over Rice Krispies mixture.
- Cool in refrigerator only until the chocolate hardens. Remove from refrigerator and cut into squares.
With the kids at home during the summer, fend off the “I’m bored” statements by getting them in the kitchen to whip up a batch of Scotcheroos. The prep work is kid-friendly and once all is said and done, they will keep coming back for more!