We recently went to a Field Day for my husband's work during which we stuffed our faces with grilled chicken sandwiches, potato chips and a delicious pesto pasta salad. My husband fell in love with the salad at first bite and immediately turned to me and said that I absolutely had to recreate it at home.
I was determined to make this tasty dish as similar to the "real deal" as possible but I also wanted to toss into the mix a little of my flare to really kick the flavors up a notch.
With all of the fresh Basil in my backyard, I got to work preparing my Fresh Basil Pesto. With just a few more ingredients I was able to replicate the delicious Pesto Pasta Salad that we had at the Field Day.
The pasta salad was a huge hit not only in my home but also at a Memorial Day barbeque. Even though it made a large amount of pasta salad, it was devoured in no time.
Pesto Pasta Salad
- 1 lb box of Gemelli
- Fresh Basil Pesto
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 cup peeled and quartered cucumber
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Gemelli according to directions on package; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients into a serving bowl and toss until the pasta is coated with the pesto and the other ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Place in refrigerator and cover, allowing the flavors to blend until ready to serve.