One of the main reasons this blog is still around and going strong is because of you. My readers. Without you, it would just be me taking photos of food and posting them. With you added into the mix, it makes it so much more. I'm forever thankful for your comments, love and support.
Entering into the food blogging world has introduced me to so many amazing people, as well as kept me connected to many of my passions: baking, cooking, writing and photography. I have had so much fun creating and sharing tips, tricks and recipes that simplify life in the kitchen.
In celebration of my blog's first birthday, get your singing voices ready...it's time to sing happy birthday and serve up slices of this delicious yellow cake with homemade chocolate frosting!
Quick Yellow Cake with Homemade Chocolate Frosting
Quick Yellow Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add shortening, milk and vanilla. Mix for about one minute.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8- or 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- To frost: Frost the top of one cake with homemade chocolate frosting. Place the other cake on top of the frosted cake and continue to spread the frosting all over both cakes.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Karo light corn syrup
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 - 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels, melted but not hot (amount depends on your taste)
- Place butter in a bowl and beat until creamy.
- Add light corn syrup and mix well.
- Add sugar and mix until blended.
- Add the melted chocolate morsels slowly and taste test to make sure the frosting is the taste that you prefer.