Cinnamon Banana OatmealThursday, May 20, 2010
- You don't have any cereal in the house.
- You don't have any milk in the house.
- You pour cereal into a bowl thinking that you have milk. When you reach for the milk in the refrigerator you realize that the milk has gone bad. Then, with a sad and pouty face, you have to pour the cereal back into the box.
The breakfast lover in me immediately started thinking of another idea for breakfast since it's the most important meal of the day. I was in a hurry yesterday morning so I opted for yogurt and toast. Thankfully, that lasted me until lunch.
When I woke up this morning fully aware that we still didn't have any milk in the house, I started brainstorming ideas for breakfast. I had an abundance of oatmeal on hand, as well as some bananas. I decided to combine the two and was very pleased with the result. Although I could never replace my cereal in the mornings, I think that this Cinnamon Banana Oatmeal is definitely high in the list of delicious options just in case I ever find myself in this predicament again.
Cinnamon Banana Oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Old-Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan and add oats; keep pan over heat and stir for approximately five minutes or until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cinnamon and banana slices.
- Pour oatmeal into a bowl and garnish with almonds and a few banana slices.