The one thing I absolutely cannot live without in the morning is breakfast. I'm a firm believer in the idea that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Orange juice, tea, milk, cereal, bagel, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, yogurt, granola...if you have some of these on hand then you have the makings for a delicious, healthy breakfast.
My absolute favorite meal to have for breakfast, especially when I'm in a hurry, is cereal. The only problem is that I go through cereal at an unbelievable speed...just ask my husband. I've known him for almost five years and he is still amazed at how fast I go through a box of cereal.
When I don't have cereal on hand, which is often since I devour it like a madwoman, I usually turn to my second favorite dish: oatmeal. Oatmeal is so healthy and the flavor can always be cranked up a notch by adding fruits, nuts and spices.
Strawberry Almond Oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Old-Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan and add oats; stir for approximately five minutes or until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cinnamon.
- Pour oatmeal into a bowl and garnish with strawberries and almonds.