What's one sure-fire way to quickly diminish your Halloween candy bowl and breathe more life into it? Bake it, of course. A lot of cookies, brownies and cakes are tasty based on the original recipes, but the sweet factor can always be taken up a notch by adding just a few pieces of candy here and there. Also, by adding certain candies, like M&Ms, the treats begin to take on a fun and playful appearance due to the rainbow of colors.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups candy-coated milk chocolate pieces (M&Ms)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix sugars, eggs, shortening and vanilla. Add flour, salt and baking soda to the creamed mixture. Blend well. Add 3/4 cup of M&M candies.
- Drop dough by the teaspoonful onto a cookie sheet. Slightly push a few candies on top of each dough ball.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Add M&Ms to your next batch of Rice Krispies treats or brownies.
- Crumble candy bars and store. The next time you fix yourself a bowl of ice cream, use the crumbled candy bars as a topping.
- Add scoops of crumbled Butterfinger bars to ice cream and milk, blend on high, pour into a glass and dig right in to a delicious milkshake.
- Package up all the leftover candy and donate to those in need.